Established in 2008, I have been offering great deals on opal rough and creating finished opal pieces for your jewelry.
Opal Outlet offers a variety of great opal choices to a worldwide market, all with competitive pricing.
My opal material is from areas throughout Australia, including Coober Pedy, Andamooka, White Cliffs and Lightning Ridge. In addition, you may also find items from Nevada, such as brown moss opal and fluorescent opal. Because all of the opal material found on this site is natural, I no longer offer any type of opal from Europe or Africa, since verifying sources can prove to be difficult.
Enjoy browsing around and keep in mind that the inventory will continue to grow & change. However, if you are looking for something in particular, please contact me using the form below and I will see if I can help.
Lastly, if you make custom settings (silversmithing, etc) and you are interested in exchanging referral links, contact me.
FREE DOMESTIC SHIPPING for orders over $35.00.
About the 4 types of opal from Australia that you will find on this site:
- Black opal rough does not have to be black in order for it to be considered a black opal. In fact, black opal can be blue, green, red or any color other than white or clear. Black opal is found in the Lightning Ridge area of Australia and is quite rare.
- Boulder opal is material that is attached to its mother stone. Australia is the world famous source of boulder opal.
- Mosaic opal is created by a skilled artist who assembles the small pieces of natural opal into a mosaic pattern. These slivers of genuine opal are assembled into an irregular, tiled pattern. Mosaic opals make stunning jewelry that allows the jeweler to include a wide range of colors within an affordable piece.
- White opal can be white or clear. The majority of opal rough comes from the Coober Pedy area of southern Australia. Opal rough is opal material in it’s original rocky state, as it is dug out of the ground. In most cases, marketable opal rough will be cut or broken stone with some opal material exposed. Cleaned opal rough can reveal an opal rub. An opal rub is a cleaned piece of rough that exposes the fire of the opal. Rubs are ready to cut and shape into an opal gemstone.
About the 2 types of opal from Nevada that you will find on this site:
- Fluorescent opal exhibits a green color best seen under black lighting. (inventory to be posted soon)
- Moss opal is a milky white to brownish opal with dark greenish to chocolate brown inclusions that resemble moss.
Check out the All About Opals Page to find some basic information:
WHERE IS OPAL FOUND?
The opal birthstone can be found in many places. The fields of Australia are the most productive in the world for the October birthstone. Ethiopia, Mexico and Brazil are also important sources. Additional deposits have been found in Central Europe, Honduras, Indonesia, Madagascar, Peru, Turkey and the United States.
Lightning Ridge, a small town in New South Wales, Australia, is famed for producing prized black opal. A dry and rocky region softened only by small trees and scrub brush, Lightning Ridge gets little rain and bakes in the scorching summer temperatures. The climate is so unforgiving that miners often live underground to find respite from the punishing heat.
For general, opal information, click HERE
For more details about Opal, Please visit The Opal Value, Price, and Jewelry Information at the International Gem Society here
I do not have each opal graded for body tone, but here is a chart you can reference: